Rescuers intervened on Saturday evening at a carbon monoxide poisoning in Prague’s Modřany district. According to initial information, several paramedics units treated up to thirty people, including children. The patients were conscious, and ambulances took 27 to Prague hospitals. The police are investigating whether there was a general threat of negligence.
“There was a mass intoxication of people with carbon monoxide in Modřany. All people (20–30) are conscious and are gradually being treated and transported to Prague hospitals,” the ambulance service reported on Twitter on Saturday evening.
The incident occurred on Urbánkova Street. Jana Poštová, a spokeswoman for the ambulance service, later clarified that paramedics eventually took 27 people to hospitals. Her colleagues also treated several children at the scene, but their conditions did not require hospitalization.
According to Prague firefighters, who responded to the scene in several units, there was a poisonous gas leak in the family home. “Several people are in the care of the ambulance. We are ventilating the house and measuring concentrations,” firefighters said shortly before midnight on Saturday.
The case is being dealt with by the police, while the criminal investigation is looking into suspicions of general negligent endangerment. “Above all, they will determine whether the gas boiler, which is believed to have leaked carbon monoxide, had a proper inspection. So far, it does not appear to have, ” police said on Twitter on Sunday morning.