Should the Czech Republic loosen up more restrictions?

The UK, Austria, and Singapore are united in their approach to the coronavirus pandemic. They are treating the disease as the common flu. The countries have relaxed measures and will only intervene locally if necessary. Czechs are divided on this issue. Experts warn of a third wave, which could hit especially young people without vaccinations.

A total of 48 percent of Czechs would follow a similar path to the UK or Singapore, while the remaining 52 percent would prefer not to vaccinate.

Even experts are not clear on whether to loosen or not. “If the current excellent trend continues, we should try to loosen it so that children can go to school without any problems,” explains immunologist Václav Hořejší.

According to virologist Ruth Tacheza, it is expected that the return of people to offices and children to schools will increase cases and outbreaks of infections. “It will be advisable to continue wearing respirators in enclosed spaces, in places with crowds of people,” she says.

The third wave will hit young people without vaccination

Most experts agree that the Czech Republic is facing another wave of the epidemic in the autumn. This time, however, the most at-risk group might not be the oldest. “Unfortunately, it will be the young unvaccinated. After all, older people have a certain level of the immune response, ” Říhová said.

Overall, 65 percent of the population over 16 years of age in the Czech Republic has been vaccinated with at least one dose so far. In comparison, another four percent have booked an appointment or are registered and waiting for an appointment.